The autonomous, driverless, U-Shift electric vehicle concept enables a new type of modularity by separating the driving module from the transport capsule, thus creating new intermodality, new products and business models. The drive module can be used in combination with various capsule types to transport both passengers and goods. Examples of applications include autonomous, electromobile night delivery, autonomous intra-logistics and barrier-free passenger transport.
Impressions of the vehicle design
The autonomous drive module integrates all components and systems necessary for driving. In addition to the electrical drive, battery and automation components, the Driveboard has an integrated lifting system for easy and quick replacement of different types of capsules. The capsules are changed ‘on-the-road’, i.e. during operation, to enable new transport and mobility services.
• Autonomous (SAE5), flexible, standardisable
• Electrical drive system
• High utilisation factor (24/7) and quiet night operation
The capsules are equipped with only the most essential technical equipment and can therefore be produced cost-effectively.
- Customised and flexible
- Needs-based: A variety of capsules used in passenger transport (people mover, private capsule) and in commercial transport (delivery transport, service, recyclable material capsule).
- ‘Simple’, light and cost-effective
The automation is much more closely linked to the infrastructure than today's Cooperative Automated Driving (CAD) approaches. U-Shift takes automation to the next level – Managed Automated Driving (MAD) is a key element of this:
• Protection via infrastructure sensors
• Management via traffic control centre
• Optimised use of road infrastructure
U-Shift premiere at the Strategy Dialogue of the Automotive Industry BW on 17th September, 2020
On 17.09.2020, U-Shift could be experienced "live" for the first time. The vehicle prototype built as part of the U-Shift project was presented at the digital interim balance conference.
Current project initiatives
- U-Shift II - Development of a research carrier for the investigation of vehicle-specific U-Shift research question
- U-Shift 33 - Development and setup of a U-Shift driveboard for MAD
- U-Shift Show - Demonstration of U-Shift in the EU project "Show
- U-Shift MAD - "Managed Automated Driving" study on the registration capability and economic viability of U-Shift
- ModECaP - Feasibility study on the U-Shift vehicle concept
- U-Shift I - (Mock-Up): Development of a 1:1 model
Curtain up on the first prototype of the futuristic U-Shift vehicle concept
"Whether as an on-demand shuttle, high-tech on-call bus, flexible distribution centre for goods and parcels or mobile sales outlet – with the futuristic U-Shift vehicle concept, DLR is bringing new impetus into the urban mobility and logistics of tomorrow. […]"
U-Shift – a vehicle concept for smart cities
“Automated electric driving will completely change the traffic in our cities. Some see the solution in smart vehicles. The Institute of Vehicle Concepts at the German aeronautics and space research centre (DLR) proposes a different approach: “In the case of the U-Shift modular vehicle system, it is primarily the city that will become smart”, as project manager Jürgen Weimer writes. […]"
Ten million euro for innovative ‘U-Shift’ vehicle concept
"With the ‘U-Shift’ vehicle concept, the German aeronautics and space research centre is breaking new ground in making tomorrow's urban mobility more sustainable, efficient and comfortable. As part of the Strategic Dialogue with the Automotive Industry, the Ministry of Economics is supporting the project with around ten million euros. […]"
Two million euros for innovative ‘U-Shift’ vehicle concept
"With the ‘U-Shift’ vehicle concept, the German Aerospace Centre is breaking new ground in making tomorrow's urban mobility more sustainable, efficient and comfortable. As part of the Strategic Dialogue with the Automotive Industry, the Ministry of Economics is supporting the project with around two million euros. […]"
To the article